The growing emphasize on the quality of software applications has led to an evolution of advanced QA processes. With this trend of quality being the key factor determining the success of an application, new testing models are being implemented to strengthen the QA. Testing Centre of Excellence (TCoE) is one such testing framework that reduces operational and infrastructural risks of an organization and improves efficiency and turnaround time.
The TCoE model works on a centralized approach by uniting the testing process with workflows, technology, manpower, and business models. Such an approach standardizes the testing process and helps define new business objectives, boost competency, and enable faster time-to-market.
What Is Testing Centre of Excellence? Why do we need it?
A Testing Centre of Excellence (TCoE) is an agile framework that defines, executes, and measures testing controls and standards across an organization. Here, the testers have shared resources across teams, however testing protocols, toolsets, methodologies, and KPIs are maintained at a centralized level. Every organization that aims at providing the standard software implements TCoE. By doing this, it efficiently deploys the testers in the teams; simultaneously, maintaining the principles and processes of QA.
TCoE can be incorporated by answering the following questions to define a perfect roadmap to achieve the desired outcome.
The TCoE model operates by implementing agile methodologies, thereby, eliminating redundancies and organizational risks. Apart from these, it has several other benefits, including IT costs reduction, speeding up innovations, enhancing the software quality, and improving the testing capability.
Significant steps involved in TCoE setup
Following are the key steps to establish TCoE; setting it up is simple and easy, but the benefits are immense, which includes improving quality, faster results, and achieving the best business outcomes.
Defining KPIs For TCoE
Having your key performance indicators (KPIs) identified is important to understand if it is going to add value to the organization. Whether a new process is being set up or an older one is being modified, defining KPIs will provide appropriate metrics showing the success rate. KPI identification depends on various factors including team size, organizational culture, and current gaps or challenges that need immediate attention.
Requirement analysis is an important part of any project, process, or workflow, which is often neglected. It is important to understand that requirement analysis is a crucial step, which determines the success or failure of any project by defining the need of the end-users and creating the scope for building a new application or modifying the existing one.
The analysis can be started by evaluating:
- When are you going to carry out the testing?
- Is the testing model validated?
- Are you testing a web or mobile app?
- Is the testing performed on-premises, remote, or Cloud?
- Which tools and methodologies are being deployed?
- How to develop automation skills in the team?
- Which process will best suit the project?
Ones the requirements are assessed, it also becomes important to understand the enterprise landscape like the reasons for initiating the project, the budget, the associated risks, deadlines, etc.
Understanding the objectives of a TCoE
When an organization is considering adopting the TCoE model, the objectives should be well established. A TCoE is mostly preferred with an objective to:
- Perform testing in Agile and DevOps environment for faster software release
- Incorporate shift-left approach to detect the errors early
- Maintain compliance with all the regulatory systems
- Improved software quality
- On-budget execution
- Mitigate any associated risk
- Faster execution and greater productivity
Defining your objectives will streamline the process and provide a clarity on the project requirements and work it out within the budget.
Establish the setup
The working of test automation and TCoE models are simple and self-explanatory. Start the process with the below steps for better outcomes.
- Install and configure the updates
- Find the business processes that needs to be tested
- A brainstorming session for the team
- Validating the process multiple times to ensure there are no discrepancies
- Documenting the entire process to find the functional and infrastructural gaps
Create TCoE implementation plan
Incorporating the TCoE model alone will not assure any drastic results; for successful results, you should effectively manage the process, people, and technology. For successful TCoE, follow the below steps:
- Select the appropriate testing framework that will suit your business requirement
- Identify your initiatives and reuse the test cases available from the associated library
- Manage the TCoE with the pre-defined objectives
- Establish an organizational structure
- Define the best practices for operations and management
Execution of the TCoE is the critical step that will give you a measurable outcome to analyze the success/ failure of your project. The key steps in the operations of TCoE includes:
Identify the key project: Running multiple project all at the same time can be a little chaotic and may not yield the expected result. Identify your key project and run it first; carry out testing process for one project at a time.
Create a roadmap: Always have your roadmap ready that is in alignment with your goals. This will have a check on any discrepancies and allow you to rectify it earlier in the product lifecycle.
Measure success metrics: Measuring the results is important to understand your success rate and keeping a track on the defect rates. This will help organizations to improve their process and eventually their business revenue.
By following the above TCoE setup plan, one can gain the best results and ultimately have a successful project with better business returns.
Building a TCOE program
Building a TCoE program will ease the business process testing with end-to-end competency. It helps in mitigating risks arising due to unplanned disruptions, and helps in promoting innovation, increasing resource efficiency, and establishing continuous quality throughout the organization.
How to ensure the success of TCoE
· Ensure the test library allows access to reuse test cases
· Determine future quality initiative
· Establish an organizational structure
· Ensure all the best practices are being implemented and executed
· Documentation, naming convention, change management, test design, and test execution are all followed as per standard protocol
Yethi’s TCoE for software QA
The TCoE Testing Centre of Excellence aims at providing the standard testing principles and tools, with the topmost priority being the quality of the product. There are three phases in the stages of setup and execution – to standardize the tools, processes, and manpower. Therefore, it is necessary to set up the TCoE efficiently to carry out the work. Yethi is the market leader in offering QA services to banks and financial institutions across the globe. Our TCoE has the capability to efficiently handle your test resources and infrastructure with standardized testing approach. With our Testing Centre of Excellence, you can optimize your existing QA process, meet your business objectives, and improve revenue.