Developing applications for banking and financial sectors is essential, as it enables organizations to meet their customer needs and expectations. The Covid-19 pandemic has accelerated the process of digitization and rollout of new digital applications.
A developer does not just develop an application and release it to the market. Considering its use and relevance, they need to test applications at multiple levels. One such test is Cross Browser testing that allows the development and testing team to ensure that the application or software functionalities remain same or are easily adaptable to each type of environment whether it is a web-based or mobile-based application.
What is Cross Browser testing?
An application is developed based on consumer’s requirements. To be able to access applications across multiple web browsers is the first criteria. Cross Browser Testing is the process to verify the application compatibility across multiple web browsers. Cross Browser Testing is done to check performance of applications across various web browsers, devices, and platforms.
It plays an important role in ensuring superior performance and compatibility of the software on available range of browsers, devices, and operating systems. Through Cross Browser Testing, business owners make sure that the end-user expectations are met across different web browsers and the application is compatible enough with multiple browsers for obtaining stable business.
Types of Cross Browser testing
There are two types of Cross Browser testing:
- Automated Cross Browser Testing
- Manual Cross Browser Testing
Why do you need Cross Browser Testing?
Cross Browser Testing ensures that performance of the software is outstanding across all browsers, devices, and platforms, and end-users receive similar web-experiences on different platforms. If there are any differences specific to browsers, Cross Browser Testing can identify and overcome them. As users browse content on various devices, it is essential to have uniformly excellent user experience across different platforms.
The manual Cross Browser testing and automated Cross Browser testing have their benefits and different processes to be implemented.
Benefits of Automated Cross Browser Testing over Manual Cross Browser Testing
Manual Cross Browser Testing is a slow process and can be extremely time-consuming when it comes to testing multiple functionalities across different web browsers, devices, and operating systems. The manual process in this case will not be able to live up to the expectation.
Automated Cross Browser testing allows you to create automated test scripts, run the tests and compare the actual results with expected ones. It is exponentially faster compared to manual Cross Browser testing. However, automated Cross Browser also requires creating initial test scripts manually, thereafter the process is fully automated. These test scripts can be executed multiple times across various browsers. To complete the Cross Browser test execution process in minimal time is the main objective of automated Cross Browser testing.
There is a greater dependency on automated Cross Browser testing as it has reduced the human efforts in testing web applications by more than 70%. While 30% manual effort is still required for selecting an efficient automation testing tool, writing the initial testing scripts, and then performing the test execution using those automated scripts.
The benefits of automated Cross Browser testing are:
- It saves time and money by choosing automation testing for running repetitive tests of an application over various browsers, devices, and OS platforms. When you are running repetitive tests repeatedly and daily across different platform, automated Cross Browser testing is an ideal option.
- The existing test cases can be reused multiple times, whenever a new code is introduced in the software or some changes are being made. As a chunk of test cases are executed repeatedly, automating regression testing becomes extremely important. Every time new functionality is incorporated in software it requires to go through regression testing. Automating regression testing saves time and effort.
- While testing a web application, one needs to consider multiple scenarios including UI tests, field-level validations, module-wise functionality and more. Based on the type of scenarios, test cases could be long or short and could have a high impact on Cross Browser testing. Test scripts that are developed using the automation tool can be efficiently used for regression testing allowing for better test coverage through automation testing.
- The manual process of Cross Browser testing is not accurate and is less reliable. As test cases are executed by multiple testers, there can be errors. Automation testing allows you to execute similar test cases multiple times without any errors maintaining accuracy even while dealing with complex functionalities.
- Testers can pick their preferred language while creating automated test scripts.
- Automated Cross Browser testing allows you to detect bugs quickly as multiple test cases are executed within a few hours. Since automation facilitates fast test execution, there is ample time to detect and fix bugs.
- Automated Cross Browser testing allows you to utilize your resources effectively and efficiently. The need for resources to execute test cases is reduced, eliminating the need for resources.
- Automated Cross Browser testing allows you to execute the same test cases multiple times across different browser combinations.
Yethi’s flagship 5th generation codeless test automation tool – Tenjin is an intuitive automated test suite. We are led by a team of functional experts, who can conduct testing without relying alone on technical resources. We help our clients achieve their business objectives within the stipulated timeframe, without compromising on quality.
We provide cross-platform testing across multiple devices and networks with high test coverage throughout all aspects of digital transformation and application testing like functional, UI/UX, performance, compatibility, security, geo-based and network testing. Agile, granular, and multi-system test capabilities, Tenjin can interact with multiple applications through APIs. This smart and intuitive tool can switch between API’s and the GUI, making it a perfect testing tool for regression testing in open banking applications.